Discussion: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a halfReported This is a featured thread

Showing 10 posts
DarthWarning
DarthWarning
Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
May 3 2009, 5:34 PM EDT | Post edited: May 3 2009, 5:34 PM EDT
One thing I like about my truck besides the cool factor is that it is powerful, can drive about anywhere off road, is damn near impossible to break, and can act as a shelter. Buying it cheap was time consuming, but worth it. All I am doing now is focusing on the vehicle as a platform, adding up grades like an extra fuel tank. But the primary reason I choose this vehicle is that it is a multi-fuel, meaning just that.. it eats about anything with ease.

I have a small hand pump as well as an electronic one, were I to have the need to bug out I can stop along the way in restaurant parking lots, garages, even abandoned vehicles and take oil out to use as fuel. I will have more then I need, and when the gas stations close for lack of fuel, and vehicles and dead on the road, I will be driving by.
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
StrykerPez
StrykerPez
1. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
May 3 2009, 8:25 PM EDT | Post edited: May 3 2009, 8:25 PM EDT
Powerful? If you consider 35mph uphill powerful. But yes, it is pretty much the ultimate bugout vehicle. And all these diesel guys doing all this work to convert their trucks to run on WVO, and the deuce can run it straight! That or used motor oil, gear oil, hydraulic fluid, whatever. Take a look at the M109A3, should be easier to make into a camper. Do you find this valuable?    
KOO_CHEATER
KOO_CHEATER
2. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 7 2009, 5:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 7 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
Speed is way over rated, in addition to the stated positives the M35 does not require any electricity to run. Park it on a hill and pop start it, off you go. EMP proof. Do you find this valuable?    
steveo_justice
steveo_justice
3. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 8 2009, 1:55 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 8 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
"Speed is way over rated, in addition to the stated positives the M35 does not require any electricity to run. Park it on a hill and pop start it, off you go. EMP proof."
Welcome to the Ranks of the Forum Members who can Spell, my freind. Our breed is a dying one.

I'd be concerned about the size of that thing. Sure it can go anywhere, but only where you can fit it. My money goes to a CJ5.
StrykerPez
StrykerPez
4. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 8 2009, 9:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 8 2009, 9:08 PM EDT
"

I'd be concerned about the size of that thing. Sure it can go anywhere, but only where you can fit it."
So basically it can fit anywhere. If something gets in the way, just go through or over it.
KOO_CHEATER
KOO_CHEATER
5. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 9 2009, 11:31 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 9 2009, 11:31 AM EDT
Fording water capability would be an M35's positive attribute. These trucks were made to ford rather deep water and the height of the cargo bed would keep goods dry. Do you find this valuable?    
steveo_justice
steveo_justice
6. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 9 2009, 4:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 9 2009, 4:08 PM EDT
"So basically it can fit anywhere. If something gets in the way, just go through or over it. "
Yeah, like thise big green things with the brown stem... How tall are they? That's pretty neat I can drive right over them now. Oh, and what about them rocks? My M35 can take on giant boulders and get right on top of 'em, even though the bumper hits the side of the rock before the wheels do! Ant the best part is, IT NEVER TIPS OVER BECAUSE IT ISN"T TOPHEAVY!!!!

byates
7. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 9 2009, 5:09 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 9 2009, 5:09 PM EDT
Bullet proof? Saw an infantry unit rip out the front end on a stump hidden in tall grass. Seen them stuck so bad that it took a tank recovery vehicle to pull them out. Do you find this valuable?    
Legion12
Legion12
8. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 12 2009, 9:47 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 12 2009, 9:47 AM EDT
In the June 22 issue of Shotgun news they have the US-M35 for sale on page 100. Three to choose from. The prices start at $3995.00, don't think I can talk Talon into buy this. Do you find this valuable?    
StrykerPez
StrykerPez
9. RE: Why my Bug Out Vehicle is a M35A2 6X6 Deuce and a half
Jun 12 2009, 10:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 12 2009, 10:34 PM EDT
Worst stuck M35 I've ever seen was one that slid itself sideways into a tree and wedged the tree between the back of the front bumper and the fender / wheel. It took an M818 5 ton wrecker to get it out and a new steering drop arm. Do you find this valuable?