Discussion: Best vehicle for an economic collapseReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 23  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
StrykerPez
StrykerPez
Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 1:42 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 1:42 PM EDT
We've theorized the best machines to use in an all-out war, but if things continue down the current path, we're looking at something a little different here. Roads will most likely be in disrepair, but not demolished. Gas will be scarce. And the have-nots will be really ticked off when they see you traveling in style. First off consider getting fuel. Diesel would likely be the best bet. It is a natural by-product of refining gasoline, so it will still be produced. You *can* make your own. Not the easiest thing in the world, but waste veggie oil should still be available for free. Diesels are generally more tolerant of different types and grades or cleanliness of fuel. Diesel engines are generally more simple in terms of mechanical parts, so they would be easier to repair. A small diesel, like an old Mercedes or VW Rabbit would probably do well. Other than that, you'd be looking for fuel efficiency, so a small car (4-6cyl) would be best. Toyota pickups, imports, econoboxes. Older would generally be better, as you can do repairs yourself and repairs will be too expensive for newer cars. A main problem I can see with small import cars (Honda, Kia) is that while long-lasting and durable, I would not use 'rugged' to describe them. Any mishap with an angry mob, or a fender bender (face it, there will be no car insurance) can leave you stranded and car-less. A small pickup would be your best bet out of these. Another idea would be a dual-sport motorcycle. These range from barely street legal dirt bikes to BMW street bikes with added ground clearance and knobby tires. They get great mileage, and can take you on shortcuts a car can't. Problems are no protection for you, and they might easily be stolen. Likely, however, most of us will be using whatever we have, because an economic collapse will hinder your ability to go out and purchase the perfect vehicle. What do you guys think? Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
WinterSoul
WinterSoul
1. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 2:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 2:33 PM EDT
Well, I don't have a vehicle right now apart from my mountain bike...I hitch rides with friends and family, I use mass transit, I walk or ride my bike...

For what you're suggesting, it sounds like a good series of points and the like....But someone's a lot less likely to steal my beaten-up, ghetto-rigged, custom-painted mountain bike versus your nice, new shiny Mercedes Benz or Apocalypse-rigged truckeroo....I'm not saying they're bad, as I'd like to have a good working truck, but if you live where I work and used to live, you'd think twice about owning a vehicle that can't be chained up to the side of a building.
Do you find this valuable?    

DaveBall
2. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 2:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 2:45 PM EDT
Harley Davison motorcycle. My 1998 Sportster, gets great millage. But it's a pain in the ass in the winter.
My sister has a pries( can't remember how spelled.).

Time to go down to the Amish down the road and buy a buggy and a couple of trained horses, A couple work horses for the field.
Swingcat
Swingcat
3. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 2:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 2:49 PM EDT
Depending on your situation, I'd say a different vehicle would be ideal.

For me, financially I can only afford a cheap mid 90's Toyota Tercel. The thing is a mule but it goes from point A to point B, pretty fuel economical.

If it came to shortages and issues of civil unrest, I'd likely try to get a dirt bike, something fast and maneuverable.

However, ultimately my vehicle for any situation has to be a pedal bike. Just a standard mountain bike with 21 gears. Biking is incredibly effective for long distance traveling, on foot it would not be possible. It also is silent, very very easy to keep it in working order, and can be outfitted with some simple storage.

Bike is quick, stealth, easy to repair, able to go for long distances, cheap and can be used in all weathers (I've even biked in the winter - they've also designed an adapter here that converts the front wheel into a ski.)

DaveBall
4. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 2:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 2:58 PM EDT
A good Mountain bike and a tow behind cart, might just end up being the best way to go. Although I would still have a problem when we get a Foot of snow here in MI.
I may have to start driving around the John Deer "Gator".
Swingcat
Swingcat
5. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 3:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 3:01 PM EDT
Get the sky adapter. It's great.

Here's a picture of it. It's simple to put on any bike too... simple adapter for the back wheel to convert it to a track and the front wheel, just take off and attach this.
Swingcat
Swingcat
6. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 3:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 3:01 PM EDT
"Get the sky adapter. It's great.

Here's a picture of it. It's simple to put on any bike too... simple adapter for the back wheel to convert it to a track and the front wheel, just take off and attach this. "
Forgot to add the picture.

http://blog.makezine.com/img_m534.jpg
StrykerPez
StrykerPez
7. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 3:02 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 3:02 PM EDT
For me to get to work, I would have to say my mountain bike has been a good choice when rent, insurance, and bills have all piled up and left me with no gas money. A small dirt bike would make for an easy longer commute, as well as the benefit of taking shortcuts, and save for people raping it of all unbolt-able parts, it could be chained to something. Do you find this valuable?    
BrokenArrow
BrokenArrow
8. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 4:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 4:08 PM EDT
I've got my mountain bike, and I love the thing. The front suspension just got broken in after a while. Light to moderate terrain is relatively easy while riding. I have a few trails/parks that I ride in and I couldn't be happier. Would definitely be one of my first choices during a situation like that. Do you find this valuable?    
Legion12
Legion12
9. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 4:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 4:16 PM EDT
My canoe will be my work horse. I can haul over 550 pounds with it, a lot more than I could carry on my bike. Over land it will be the Jeep Wranglers. OK on gas and a very good turning radius. With enough ammo boxes bolted to it I could carry a lot of supplies. Do you find this valuable?    

Littlejon126
10. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 4:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 4:51 PM EDT
My Dakota actually gets really good gas mileage - I have started to do the numbers on it and I'm getting between 20-25, which is actually more than is advertised. At first I thought my math was incorrect but I had my brother check the numbers and he reached the same result; which is phenomenal with a 14 year old truck.

Oh, overall?? Honda Rebel, 250 CC motor. Not gonna get ya there fast but it'll do it at 80 MPG.

byates
11. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 6:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 6:41 PM EDT
"A good Mountain bike and a tow behind cart, might just end up being the best way to go. Although I would still have a problem when we get a Foot of snow here in MI.
I may have to start driving around the John Deer "Gator"."
Check out these sites for info on biking in the snow
http://www.icebike.org/
http://www.prairienet.org/~fishman/snowbike/index.html
zooken
zooken
12. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 29 2008, 6:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2008, 6:49 PM EDT
All I have to say about gas...I'm in the south east, and a friend's car only takes 93octane...he is without gas for now.

Lesson: Sports cars make BAD survival vehicles.

what I'm really waiting for are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_car
WinterSoul
WinterSoul
13. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 30 2008, 3:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2008, 3:53 PM EDT
I want to find or make one of those WW2 German tracked motorcycles...It'd be hard to make and insanely costly, but it wou;d make for a great Winter vehicle, and if you used a diesel engine, it'd be more fuel-friendly than some other vehicles out there.

Never seen or heard of this strange contraption?

Take a look-see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_2
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
zooken
zooken
14. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 30 2008, 3:57 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2008, 3:57 PM EDT
"I want to find or make one of those WW2 German tracked motorcycles...It'd be hard to make and insanely costly, but it wou;d make for a great Winter vehicle, and if you used a diesel engine, it'd be more fuel-friendly than some other vehicles out there.

Never seen or heard of this strange contraption?

Take a look-see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_2"
Would it be possible to get a snow mobile and fiddle around with it and make something like it?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
WinterSoul
WinterSoul
15. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 30 2008, 4:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2008, 4:32 PM EDT
"Would it be possible to get a snow mobile and fiddle around with it and make something like it?"
I'd think so...Just put treads on the sides where the tow skis would be, then rig them to the engine, then for the summer months put a motorcyle-front on it....If there's a will, there's a way..

I'd use the thing as a short-range transport or to haul logs and other resources around on a large chunk of land....I think a tractor'd be a great thing to have for those purposes as well and will probably be what I'll end up acquiring, but this bit of kit seems to have some appeal to it that a tractor just doesn't have....For me, that is.
WinterSoul
WinterSoul
16. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 30 2008, 4:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2008, 4:32 PM EDT
*motorcycle Do you find this valuable?    

Littlejon126
17. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 30 2008, 6:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2008, 6:47 PM EDT
http://www.mattracks.com/ 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
zooken
zooken
18. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Sep 30 2008, 7:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2008, 7:37 PM EDT
"http://www.mattracks.com/"
Now that is awesome. That link deserves a point.
WinterSoul
WinterSoul
19. RE: Best vehicle for an economic collapse
Oct 1 2008, 1:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2008, 1:20 AM EDT
"http://www.mattracks.com/"
That solved the problem entirely....You get a big chocolate-chip cookie :)
2 | Next